So remember that Saab 900 that tagged along with the Civic at Waterford Hills for our first track day? Well, now it’s stepped into the spotlight as the next racecar for BGKP Motorsports, or rather, “Pooper Scooper Racing” as it was affectionately referred to at the time.
If you have been following us you may already know that our Honda Civic crashed Memorial Day weekend at Chumpcar’s Watkins Glen International event. That left us with just under three months to prepare before our next Chumpcar race at Gingerman Raceway, and only two months until our targeted test-and-tune event. Additionally, everyone’s schedules were littered with commitments for June, one being Saabros’ traditional trip to Electric Forest.
The Saab was a personal purchase of mine so we weren’t starting entirely from scratch. I had already diagnosed the initial issues and started performing some maintenance, such as replacing the inner and outer tie rods, installing new ball joints, new DIC (direct-injection cassette) and spark plugs, vac lines, O2 sensors, custom motor mounts, filters, and fluids. I also had upgraded brakes for the front and rear that needed to be installed.
TIP: NG900 brakes can be upgraded through junkyard finds from other Saab models, specifically, the 9-3 Viggen and 02-05 9-5 Aero.
The front brakes can be upgraded from stock 288mm rotors to 308mm rotors using just the front caliper brackets from any model year Viggen (and possibly 02-05 9-5 Aero). Obviously you will also need to purchase the larger rotors as well.
The rear brakes can be upgraded from stock 286mm solid rotors to 300mm vented rotors using the full rear assembly (caliper, caliper bracket, and rotor) from an 02-05 9-5 Aero. You will also need to modify the 9-5 lines, make new lines, or source a custom set. We went with GenuineSaab’s custom rear stainless steel lines.
We did a quick study of the car just to make sure there were no other pressing maintenance items we missed. The engine, with just over 230,000 miles made us a little nervous, but due to our timeframe we decided to focus solely on getting the car safety equipment prepped. Thankfully, most of the safety equipment survived the Civic crash and was easily transferred to the Saab.
We made a detailed list of what had to be done and jumped right in. The first step was to strip the car. The interior of the Saab was far more elaborate than the Civic, so it took some additional time to clear everything out. I was shocked by the amount of detail Saab paid to NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) as we disassembled everything. In a couple of afternoons the entirety of the interior was removed.
We began evaluating the chassis and discovered that floor panels were in far worse shape than we thought. The next few days involved a lot of grinding, cutting, hammering, and welding to repair all of the damaged areas from that all-too-familiar Michigan rust.
In the coming weeks I will continue to cover BGKP Motorsports’ Saab 900 build from start to finish, detailing all of the steps we endured throughout the process. Until then, click around, maybe share some of the stuff you find interesting, and most importantly, enjoy!